Man stole my insurance reform, stole my secret plan to end the war and now he’s boosted my campaign slogan. Well, Ike’s, but it was my idea. Didn’t look like the Pepsi logo back then.

That’s from our ’56 campaign, but you wouldn’t know it from the way the reactionary right went off on it.

Here are just a few representative samples of the “Forward” hysteria ginned up, emphasis on the “gin,” by the special folk.

You get the picture. Cranks berating the Obama campaign for either historical ignorance of the tradition of the word or for using it to arouse the passions of the awaiting Red horde. Goddamn, I love politics.

1. Foole says:

Of course, as you pointed out a while ago, the term “Homeland”, launched during W’s tenure, has both fascist and Communist influences imbedded in it. But that’s different.

• Richard Nixon says:

For the life of me, as it were, I cannot find out who came up with that name. Yes, of course, it’s different.

The funny thing, or a funny thing is that it’s true about “forward,” too, it really was a common buzzword on the left, but no one would ever have thought to bring it up against me. Robert Welch did say Eisenhower was a Communist stooge, but that wasn’t until a few years later and had nothing to do with the slogan.

2. Nick Stone says:

Which brings to mind the question of your own campaign slogan; you don’t seem to have one unless I have missed it. It would seem that your “situation” might provide some interesting possibilities. I am not suggesting RESURRECTION but it strikes me as humorous that it would certainly trump FORWARD, and there must be some kind of implication in there vis-à-vis your Mormon rival.

• Richard Nixon says:

We’ve been thinking about “Nixon’s the One“; has some additional piquancy now. Also “He is Risen” or something similar, but that might be a bridge too far, as they say. The resurrection/redemption motif certainly warrants strong consideration. Don’t want to roll out anything too soon. It’d been me, we would’ve held the bin Laden killing news last year until October when the anniversary would’ve done the campaign some good. Rookies.

• John says:

how about “he’s been to hell and back?” Would certainly make the others look callow and inexperienced, particularly if you could perform a few “minor” miracles along the way. Honestly, who could compete with immortality? And none of this redemption shit, what does Nixon have to apologize for? How many factories did Nixon close for profit? How many citizens did Nixon assassinate? How many gay boys did Nixon humiliate and terrorize for hijinks? Fuck redemption, you’re immortal man

• John says:

Hey, I didn’t say he was squeaky clean, but these transgressions when compared to funding secret wars by swapping arms for hostages with a sworn enemy (Reagan) or wars of choice like Iraq (bush) or drone strikes on American citizens (Obama) if anything, he looks like a piker.

3. Mary says:

Obama certainly does have a penchant for ‘borrowing’ Republican ideas and policies. Odd for a (wink wink) Democrat… Don’t you think?

• Richard Nixon says:

Used to be odd, not any more. At the national level I’d say about half the party are where he is or to the right. Clinton adopted some long-sought Republican initiatives—free trade, welfare “reform,” and financial deregulation—that have had obvious, enormous negative impacts on the people Democrats once championed and on the country in whole. He’s even more solidly in the Republican camp now. President Obama is just the latest representative of what I’ll call the evolving position of the Democratic party.

I had no idea, back in ’68, that what we were doing to fracture the Democrats would be this wildly successful. Thought they had some spine.

4. Richard Nixon says:

Because I am by nature a peacemaker and soother of troubled waters, I’m going to Solomonize the redemption question between John and FNC. Yes, I have a lot to answer for but if I did it today, if had my fellas do it today, I would have about 95% less to answer for.

I was blessed and cursed with a pioneer’s temperament.

I’m taking the slogans under consideration. “Hell and Back” has a ring to it, although as I told someone else it’s more like “Stuck-In-Certain-Areas-of-Los-Angeles-Without-Transportation and Back.”

• John says:

yeah, but you can’t fit that on a bumper sticker. I think the idea of you spending some time in hell has a certain appeal to those who might reflexively reject you, like me, for example. And the whole thing has a sort of Clarence-gets-his-wings quality, except you’re trying to save a whole country of course, rather than just Ol’ George Bailey. Well, and you’re not exactly coming from heaven either come to think of it.

but that’s okay because America wants somebody tough as nails and ready to kick some ass and if their savior comes straight outta hell, so much the better. American’s love stories about over-coming adversity (don’t believe me watch the Olympics) and frankly coming back from hell (or los angles) pretty much trumps just about anything.

• FakeNoamChomsky says:

Fair enough, John, we have common ground. I’m actually in Southern California right now (I’m not usually) and I was thinking about stopping by Yorba Linda on Wednesday. Do you want me to pick you up a paperweight or something?

• Richard Nixon says:

If you do get over there, Noam, would you mind stopping at the front desk to ask about the keys to Marine One? Went by there right after I got back but the place was closed and the helicopter was locked.

• Richard Nixon says:

You’re right, John, the comeback is certainly an integral part of this story and of my political career overall. Nixon never quits. Made it back from that little imbroglio in ’52 (loved that dog), made it back from ’60 and ’62, made it back from Watergate, after a fashion, and now this.

• Mary says:

Don’t forget what you did to Hubert Humphrey. Johnson announced that he had brokered an agreement to halt the bombing in Vietnam at the Paris peace talks. You convinced the South Vietnam President to stay away from the negotiations on the eve of the election. Humphrey would have won. And it might be said that you were the inspiration for Reagan & Co. who convinced Iran to hold onto the hostages until after the election thus ensuring Carter would lose.

So it has to be said that you cheated your way into the White House, and cheated your way out of the White House. Lessons learned?

P.S. As I can only guess, my hunch is that the country lost out on an amazing opportunity to have a President Humphrey. One can only imagine the possibilities we missed.

• Richard Nixon says:

Humphrey might have won if an agreement had been both reached and announced, might equally well have not, but Johnson assured me that there would be no announcement during the week of the election. The bombing halt was simply to get the parties to Paris. Nevertheless, the Chennault affair was without question destructive.

I try not to engage in large-scale counterfactual discussions because there are documented instances of people having gone mad pursuing them.